Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cycles ????

Now that I have decided to buy a cycle, I had to find one which would fit my size and pocket. Bicycles in India start at 3000 rupees and go all the way up to 15-20 thousand. Of course, there are cycles which cost 35-50 grand, but that was not on my radar.

I wanted to get a road bike since I always thought that MTBs were too heavy. I have set my budget at around 5000 bucks.

Two of my colleagues ride a Firefox Target which are MTBs and cost around 10,000 bucks. The ride felt really great compared to my landlord's cycle and these bikes were very light.

Another colleague rides a Hero Thunder which costs around 5,500 bucks. I haven't ridden it yet.

The Hero cycles website didn't help much. But I did manage to find a few more models ie: Hero Thunder Racer and Hero Octane.

One of my colleagues (a bike "expert") gave me all the gyan about aluminium frames, suspension, brakes etc. He advised me to pick up the Hero Thunder Racer since the Firefox road bikes start at Rs. 17000.

Being the geek that I am, I trawled the net to see what information I could find online about Indian bikes. I managed to find a few phone numbers of cycle dealers in Bangalore through an online yellow pages.

After a lot of calls, I learnt that many of them had not heard about the Hero Thunder Racer and those who did know about it, did not have any stock.

So I have decided to visit Dispensary Road (Near Commercial Street) and A. S. Char Road (near Majestic) over the weekend. These are supposed to be where all cycle dealers are available.

Lets see what the weekend brings !!

6 comments:

sh said...

can u tell me the cost of hero thunder racer how can i find it
my email id is "sharmadhru@gmail.com"

Anonymous said...

Hey, me too looking for Thunder Racer. Will you post about where you got one?

Capricorn 83 said...

hey Deepak,
same here...even i wanna know abt thunder - can u keep me posted once u get to know? thanks - vignesh.raja@gmail.com

astute87 said...

Sad man, I managed to find a thunder racer for 3.4k. It was used three months. I am fookin happy about that.

Anonymous said...

Am planning to get a Thunder Racer. Have any of you bought one in the past year or so? Please share your views on owning and riding this model. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How much does it cost?